Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Quest for Dormeuses

In conjunction with the jewelry history books I mentioned in a previous post, I am also reading Cartier: Jewelers Extraordinary by Hans Nadelhoffer.

I tend to leave pieces of paper on the pages with words I don't understand as I am reading so that I may look up their meanings later. This book, though very well written, doesn't make enough of an effort to explain the french terminology. The words are just italicized and the writing moves on. Since my french is not very good, this book is riddled with my little notes.

This morning I attempted to look up the word dormeuses. Which on some online translators comes to nightcap, mopcap, or sleepers. None of which make sense in relation to jewelry.

Finally, with great relief, I found a video on youtube of an old French jeweler being interviewed and his responses were translated into English.




Les dormeuses pronounced [Fr. dawr-mœz ] translates to The Sleepers. They are earrings that have a main portion with a hook that goes through the ear. An extra ornament can be hooked on the main part's loop in order to dress it up. Called 'Sleepers" because the wearer would sleep with the main portion still in the ear and wear for everyday, only adding the dangle for special occasions or for church.

If one performs a search on Google for dormeuses earrings, all sorts of single drop and straight dangle earrings turn up which leads me to believe the term has been commandeered by uninformed jewelry marketers.

I'm going to believe the old timer on this one.

No comments: